Friday, May 10, 2013

Flower Boy Ramyun Shop


This drama was so wonderful!! It started well and it ended well which is more than a lot of other dramas can say. It never took itself too seriously either, how could it with all the constipation jokes? Each episode brought something new and the drama never lagged.There was so much 'right' in this drama it was ridiculous.

Something I have noticed about this drama as I have started watching other dramas is that it echos Secert Garden quite a bit. Even without having seen that drama, I knew the sparkly tracksuit in the fantasies was a little nod toward it.

Do you know who made this tracksuit?
 As I get more into Secret Garden though, I notice that Ramyun Shop also uses the 'the rich emotionless lead is starting to FEEL things!' plot line. There is also the similarity that the male lead starts to see the female lead everywhere. Joo Won isn't as crazy as Cha Chi Soo though, but then again, I'm not sure anyone could be as crazy as Cha Chi Soo......

Just an average day for Cha Chi Soo
I also like how this drama gives us a powerful female lead who is able to overcome her own self doubts and, in the end, is able to rescue herself and her man.....with a plunger.

I don't want to listen to your crap!
Another thing that I like about her character is that, even though she is strong in the end, she is also strong and independent in the beginning. She does have her moments of self doubt -- who doesn't -- but she gets back on her feet pretty quick. When watching this drama I never wanted to smack her for moving from a strong female character into a blubbering pile of uselessness. I can excuse her this time though

What are you to doing?
Speaking of her man, I love Cha Chi Soo so much. I don't care what my friends say (and they all do) he's awesome. Sure he's a jerk, but I love him for it. Jung Il Woo did such a good job playing his character it was ridiculous. I have a friend who holds a personal vendetta against Jung Il Woo now because of this roll. I told her to watch The Moon that Embraces the Sun and this is what she posted on my wall

She's a jerk

Something that happens a lot in this drama are misunderstandings. Not that that is a big surprise when it comes to Korea dramas, but these ones are some of my favorites. There's the main one that sets up our story, Cha Chi Soo is actually six years younger, not older, than Eun Bi, Cha Chi Soo running into the same stall an Eun Bi in the beginning, the ahjumma's thinking that Eun Bi is a loose woman (watch that here), and Cha Chi Soo attacking Eun Bi because he thinks that she is going to overdose (spoiler, it's constipation medicine)

 
There is also a lot to look at in this drama. One of the best things to look at happens in episode five when Pillar finally shows his face and all his gleaming muscly goodness

Let's look at another one, shall we?
You sir are hot. Therefore, I shall stare at you
Even though these two didn't get together in the drama, they are together in real life as of a few months ago. Now whenever I watch clips of this show, that is all I think about. Cha Chi Soo is putting on the moves and Pillar is looking sad, but in the back of my mind, I know it is all a lie! Pillar and Eun Bi are having a secret affair to the side that no one knows about!

Just give it time, you'll eventually win
This drama also has one of my favorite bromances, Ba Ool and Hyun Woo. They are so deliciously awkward it's wonderful. I also like how in the end they become such good firends. They are still complete opposites, but they compliment each other very well.

I think that this picture sums up their relationship quite well
The drama was wrapped up very well too. It's wasn't all tied up with a triple knotted bow which made it nice. The writers gave the audience room to create their own endings for all of the characters. None of the relationships are perfect which is something that you see all through out the drama, so I'm glad they carried that theme until the end. As for relationships open to interpretation.....

I would watch the crap out of this drama. Someone make this happen!!
Should you watch this drama? Is that even a question? Of course you should. This drama is freaking amazing! I don't care what you are doing with your life right now, just stop and go watch this. Don't ask questions, just go.

What am I watching? 

Cruel Palace: War of the Flowers - My first 100% sageuk, it's going well

Secret Garden - I've heard a lot about it and it is pretty good

~ Alora

No comments:

Post a Comment