Friday, May 24, 2013

I Miss You


This gets a tiny bit spoiler-y, so you have been warned. 

This drama hits you right in the feels, right in the feels I tell you! It is so sad the entire time. This is a drama you should watch in the summer time, when the sun is out a lot, and there are butterflies and rainbows in your life so you can escape the characters sad existence back into your own happy one. Seriously, do not watch this if your life is not going well because theirs really don't go well. Seriously.

First of all, the cast in this drama is Amazing! I think that this is the type of drama that is more for the actors than the audience because it pushes them to the extreme of their own boundaries. Let's move on with the review then.

The writers really pile it on with the first episode. It shows you almost all of the characters and their lives all basically suck. The second episode is a little lighter though and that is nice. This drama is like 80% angst and 20% other. There are some lighter moments in this drama, but they are pretty widely dispersed.

Yeo Jin Goo and Kim So Hyun
I want to talk about the actors first. Yeo Jin Goo and Kim So Hyun are fantastic and I am so glad that they were picked as Yoochun and Yoon Eun Hye's mini me's. The first thing that I saw them in was The Moon that Embraces the Sun and they just continue to get better. I am excited to see what they do in the future. I think that I am going to watch everything that will ever be in ever. Ever.

The story about these two is that they met as children, but he is kidnapped and so is she when she goes after the kidnappers to try and save him. At the warehouse they are at, she is raped. Yeo Jin Goo is able to escape eventually, but he Leaves Her There. Yeah, he leaves her! I know that he is young and afraid, but oh my gosh! I was shocked and appalled that he did that. But if he hadn't done it, we wouldn't have a story, but it was still a jerk thing to do. This is one of the saddest parts in the whole story I think. It is so raw and just utterly heartbreaking to see what they are going through at such a young age.

I might be tearing up right now, no joke
There is one more child actor, (okay technically there is one more, but I don't care about her) and he is adorable, yet evil.

Little Hyung Joon
From the beginning this kid is just a liar and that is all I will say because I have already given stuff away for the kidnapping scene. But yeah, this kid is bad news and it doesn't get any better. You may think that it does, but it doesn't. Oh boy, does it ever not.

The kids finally get the boot in episode five and it is kind of sad because they are such good actors. They do reappear from time to time though so that is a good thing. I was kind of excited that they were leaving though because that means that my favorite actress got to come in, Yoo Eun Hye! This drama also introduced me to Yoo Seung Ho and holy crap that kid is amazing. He is so young and yet he was so believable in his role as the evil and tortured Hyung Joon. 

Yoon Eun Hye and Yoo Seung Ho
At the beginning you think that he is just the victim of what has happened to him and I guess he still is at the end, but as you learn more about him, you are able to see just how far gone he really is. It is horrible to see how far he falls by the end and the sheer emotion that Yoo Seung Ho is able to put into his character is incredible because Hyung Joon has been teetering on such a sharp precipice for such a long time, you wonder how he was able to make it as far as he did.

He's got the crazy eyes
 I think that Soo Yeon and Hyung Joon have one of the most tragic side relationships that I have ever seen in a drama. He lovers her and she loves him, but of course, he loves her more. Their relationship is a lot more than that though because they have been through so much and took care of each other because they were all the other had. That is the basis that the end of the drama is based upon which is what makes it so terribly tragic and probably they point that I shed the most tears at. (If anyone tells me that you didn't cry at the end at the hospital, you are an unfeeling jerk, is all)


Something that had me wondering throughout the whole drama is what is the correct punishment for someone who deserves to be punished? I am reading Tom Sawyer with my eight graders and we talked about the death of Injun Joe and whether or not he deserved what he got. (If you don't know what I'm talking about, go look it up) I think that the same goes for the kidnapper in the beginning and Hyung Joon at the end. They were punished for what they did, but was it too much or was is justified?

If you would excuse me, I have a date with the tissue box
Another question that I feel this drama brings is how much pressure can one person handle? There are so many twists and turns in this drama and just when you feel that maybe a character can be happy something else happens. Some of the characters do snap, but some are able to keep it together, but how damaged are they in the end? Sure, Jung Woo and Soo Yeon end up together, and they are happy, but they are not totally whole, not after everything that they have been through. 


The last thing that I want to mention is the ending of what could have been. Between the hospital scene and this last one at the playground I was so done. Like, so done. I was a mess and it was a good thing that there was no one in the room with me or else it would have been embarrassing for everyone involved. Not that I was sobbing or anything, it was more like those quiet tears that just continually stream down your face as you cover your mouth because you don't know what else to do with yourself.


Should you watch it? I would say yes, but only if you are mentally prepared for this storm of emotions.

What am I watching?

Cruel Palace - War of the Flowers: I am falling behind, but it's so good!

Nail Salon Palace: I'm going to finish the drama, even if it is going down hill fast

Full House: No dramaing this week, I have barely had anytime to breathe, let alone watch dramas 

No comments:

Post a Comment