Monday, May 13, 2013

Word of the day: Bromance

Bromance n. 1. A nonsexual relationship between two males who are close

I know, I know, NigaHiga practically owns the word bromance (if you don't know why, go here). Unfortunately I am not friends with a Korean celebrity, so you'll just have to deal with me. Sorry.

In this post I am going to be listing my top five bromances.

5. Rooftop Prince
Joseon Power Rangers unite!
I think what makes this quartet so fun is that they are all so different from each other. You have king, a warrior, a scholar, and a eunuch who has information on everyone. He's kind of like a Korean, non-backstabbing, Lord Varys. 

My favorite character is Chi San (the eunuch), he is adorable. This drama also introduced me to Lee Min Ho (in the green). These guys were so fun to watch because they are shot 300 years into the future and all they have is each other. It is also fun to watch the relationship change and the king realizing that having subjects is not as fun as having friends.

  4. Boys Over Flowers  
Woo Bin, Yi Jung, Joon Pyo, Ji Hoo

Oh Boys Over Flowers, how I love you. These guys were fun to watch, especially when they were being exasperated by Joon Pyo's stupidity. They knew where their loyalties lay and were not afraid to tell one another when they needed to 'suck it' (I just got caught up on Psych). As usual with bromances that contain multiple people there are some highlight players, namely these two. 

Woo Bin and Yi Jung
These two are definitely the comic relief in the drama and they are always the first ones to tell Joon Pyo that he is being ridiculous. I think that Yi Jung is also the only person who really understands Woo Bin. They are both kind of outcasts who are perceived as one thing but that is not who they truly are. When Woo Bin has his little break down mid drama, Yi Jung is there to smack him around and tell him to stop feeling sorry for himself.
 
3. Flower Boy Ramyun Shop 
Don't catch a cold
Oh my gosh, what are you?
I mention Ba Ool and Hyun Woo in my post about Flower Boy Ramyun Shop and here I am talking about them again. These two were so fun to watch because in the beginning Ba Ool was totally freaked out about Hyun Woo's mother hen personality. If I were in his place I would probably be a little weirded out too.

By the end of the drama though, when they find out that they may have to 'break up' it's really sad and they can't imagine doing it. Ba Ool does try to be all manly about it, but Hyun Woo understands him enough by this point to know that Ba Ool is also sad. These two balance each other out, Ba Ool helps protect Hyun Woo and Hyun Woo reals Ba Ool back in when he is in danger of doing something stupid, which is often. 

2. Shut Up! Flower Boy Band 
Eye Candy
There is so much man love in this drama it kills me. For some of these boys, the band is all they have so they all take care of each other. Episode after episode it is about their relationship with each other and how far they are willing to go to protect and build each other up. Getting into specifics though, my favorite bromance in this drama is between these two guys.

Kyung Jong and Ha Jin
Every time they came on the camera I knew good things were going to happen. Kyung Jong was totally the wife in this relationship keeping his womanizing pretty boy husband in line. Even the other characters talked about their relationship. In one of the episodes these two fight and *cue dramatic music* don't sit next to each other during dinner! The other members then shuffle themselves and force the two to sit with each other because everyone was weirded out about it.

Kyung Jong is also the cutest thing that I have have ever seen. He's just so little and then he has the Satoori dialect. I just want to put him in my pocket and take him home!

1. Sungkyunkwan Scandal 
Moon Jae Shin and Goo Yong Ha
Of course these guys are going to be number one, I don't think I have seen any other bromance come close to what they have, except for the Eye Candy boys. The reason I loved them so much is because Yong Ha knew how uncomfortable and annoyed Jae Shin would get when he would put on the wife hat. Even though Jae Shin would bat Yong Ha aside, you know that he loved him. Yong Ha also risked his life and his status to protect Jae Shin when Jae Shin  was injured or just as general back up so that he could get safely back to where ever he needed to be.

Well there you have it, my favorite bromances. There will be a lot more in the future as I continue to watch dramas both old and new and who knows what will happen to these top five. It is going to have to take quite a bit of bromancing to beat these top two spots though. Who's your number one bromance?

~Alora

3 comments:

  1. OMO! I'm in the middle of watching School 2013 and there is so much amazing wonderful bromance in that drama because it is so touching at times and funny at others. Its just wonderful and not gay AT ALL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! HOW IS THE CUTEST BROMANCE IN SCHOOL 2013 NOT HERE OMG! And of course Heirs, all though this post was a bit too early for that one.

      Delete
    2. I hadn't watched School 2013 when I wrote this. I started to watch it in July but couldn't finish it at the time. I tried to pick it up again a couple months ago and had no idea what was happening. I'll need to start from the beginning. lol

      ~ Alora

      Delete