Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Block B Be a Light


How's the song? 

What time is it? The correct answer to that question would be, it's Block B time! I was trying to decide what picture I could find that would correctly capture how I feel right now and I remembered a time when U-Kwon did the gwiyomi player and I thought that it would suffice.


I'm feeling all the feels right now guys! I am so happy about this! It has been almost a year since their last song and about nine months of Block B just floating in limbo with all the issues that they had with Stardom.

I think that the style of song that Zico created for their comeback was a good idea. They couldn't have come out with anything bombastic like "Nalina" or "Nillili Mambo" and act like nothing happened, because so much has happen. By promoting with this song, it is like they are feeling the waters and letting people know that they are back and when they feel more comfortable, they will blow us away with something loud and awesome.

The beginning of the song starts with a soft piano/guitar duet with something that sounds like either the wind or white noise in the background, and as I have stated before, I am a sucker for pianos. There is also something that I noticed in the beginning that I can only peg as children's voices. It almost sounds like they say "come here!", but this is a Korean song, so I could just be making stuff up.

After this initial beginning Zico starts singing and then U-kwon sings and the Taeil sings and then everybody listening starts crying because they're just so happy. Okay, I'm getting a little over dramatic, but I don't care, this is very exiting for me. PO also does a little singing/rapping and I really like it when Zico and PO get to sing. Zico is a better singer than PO, but I like the sound of PO's voice when he sings because he has a very unique voice because it is so low.

I'm just really happy that they are back and I love what they used to come back with. I am excited for their album to come out next week and anything else that they put out in the future. 

How's the video? 

Honestly, the video wasn't spectacular and it was a little confusing. I didn't expect an amazing video though, I went into this for the song and if the video was awesome as well, then that would just make it that much better.

I have read some comments from people that are thinking that this video is a giant metaphor for everything that has happened to Block B from January until now. They say that U-kwon embodies all of Block B, the gangsters are all the things that have happened since their debut, and the girl is the BBCs. I don't totally agree with this because the girl isn't doing anything to be of any help to U-kwon and she doesn't really seem to care that much. 

So, in the video, I know that I am suppose to feel sad about the fact that U-kwon is getting the snot beat out of him, but all I can do is think of how wonderful his hair looks. Someone tell me that I am not the only one who noticed that, it's like a hair commercial. When he falls or gets hit, it's like his hair takes on a life of its own and says "My owner may be getting up, but I look fabulous!"

Block B, because you're worth it
Before U-kwon's hair made me emotionally confused we began the video with U-kwon, basically waiting to get beat up as he unclenches his fist and waits for the punches to begin.


As we watch U-kwon getting hit we also see clips of this girl bouncing around her living room without a care in the world. Is the U-kwon's girlfriend? Is she his enemy? Does she know what is happening to him? Side note, I want her Block B head phones.


You know what I think? I think that she and U-kwon were on a top secret  mission together, but towards the end, she went crazy and turned on him. She managed to convince her superiors that U-kwon was actually the one to desert and to make sure that he didn't talk, she called in the Korean mafia to deal with it.


Luckily, as most villains do, the Korean mafia left U-kwon, not bothering to check if he was dead, where he is eventually found by the rest of his members.

  
After all of this, what was up with that super scary ending? It's like Block B is going all Dark Knight on us and they are going to go rob a bank! If they do go down that road, I think that either Zico or Jaehyo will play the role of the Joker. Zico because he is the leader and Jaehyo because maybe the Orange Hyung has been peeled one too many times and finally lost it resulting in him murdering the crap out of everybody.

Then to add a little more weirdness to the scene, the license plate is a German plate. Does that mean that they are going to Germany, or do they just happen to have a random German plated car hanging out at Seven Seasons garage? 


Maybe this means that we have a more exciting music video waiting for us in the future?

How's the styling? 

Everyone looks really good in this video, and that's not even my Block B bias talking, at least I don't think it is. All the hair is manageable and all the clothes are very clean looking. This is a very simple video and the outfits complement that.

The only thing that I find slightly questionable is Taeil's pants at the end of the video. Man, those things are tight and shiny! Are they even comfortable? I'm not sure how I feel about Jaehyo's giant jacket either. It's handy that these two are in the same picture.


Is the dance super amazing? 

Please, Block B doesn't dance, well with the exception of B-Bomb and U-kwon that is. A dance didn't really fit with the song anyways.This was an angsty let's sit in our black clothes on a foggy backgroud type of song, and hey, that's what they did.

Which member owned it? 

I have decided that because I know people that are not totally familiar with Block B, but might like to be, I'll do a bio of the members. With this resurgence of Block B, there might also be a lot of people who become interested in them and if anyone finds this, maybe it can be helpful. I will try to refrain from using inside jokes, but I make no promises and I will link a explanation if you care enough to find out what it means.

This also just gives me a reason to gush over some of the members so feel free to skip this if you don't care. 


"Mai neim ija Taeir" Well, that inside joke thing didn't last very long, don't tell me that you didn't see that coming though. Taeil is the oldest member and has vocal chords that were kissed by every angel in heaven.....twice. He also scats because why the heck not? We can always add a little more perfection to the sounds that come out of his throat. The members also call him baby hyung because he is the shortest and is adorable as balls. He and PO are also in love with each other, PO has even admitted it.


B-Bomb or Minhyuk is the dancer of the group. His position there is pretty safe too because he and U-kwon are the only members who can dance. Zico likes to think that he can dance and Kyung isn't bad, but neither of them are good and PO, Jaehyo, and Taeil probably couldn't dance their way out of a paper bag if it was too big.


Next we have Jaehyo, or the Orange Hyung! He is called Orange Hyung because he is always getting peeled, or made fun of, by the other members. He also likes himself a lot and sometimes says that he is the oldest member, even though he's not. He is more of a ballad singer than a up tempo singer and unfortunately that means that he doesn't get a lot of lines and that makes me sad because he's my favorite.


U-Kwon is the smile representative of Block B and for good reason because when he smiles, you smile too. That is also probably the reason why he was given the first greetings video of this comeback, we've all missed seeing that smile! With his smile comes a lot of aegyo which he was forced to show quite a bit when they would go on variety shows. 


Park Kyung or Dharma Kyung or Cucumber is a rapper in Block B and he might be the weirdest member. I mean, don't get me wrong, every member of Block B is crazy, but Kyung is a special type of crazy. He is the creator of the shoulder dance which he likes to do whenever he get the chance and no one can do this but him.


Zico aka Woo Jiho aka, Zi-a-co aka the Jamaican Beggar is the leader of the group and he also writes, composes, and produces almost all of Block B's songs. Basically he's awesome. When they debuted he also had a bit of an obsession with Hello Kitty because he thought that having a cute character with him made him less threatening looking.  


Before I start talking about PO I just want to make a mention about how mature he looks with this black hair. Boy looks good. 

PO is the maknae of the group and he has a voice that explodes ovaries and broveries alike and if you say otherwise, you are lying. In odds to his crazy deep voice, this boy can do some serious aegyo, and it isn't like Bang Yong Guk's awkward deep voice aegyo, PO is a mastah. He also can't be serious for more than two seconds and is always making people laugh.

And there you have it, a little information about Block B. You should also know that the BBCs are a slightly rowdy and inappropriate bunch, much like the members of Block B. It's just one big battle to see who can make fun of each other the most. Seven Seasons asked what BBCs would write on banners if Block B had gone to Idol Star Athletics Championships, they're pretty good, my favorite being "Zico, move your nose I can't see EXO oppas" 

Now just to leave you with something fun, here are two videos of out takes and the members singing each other parts from the recording of their song "Movie's Over" I love these derps.

Did the English make your ears bleed? 

U-Kwon has done it again, he said something awkward, but this time it wasn't a pronunciation issue like in "Nalina" it was just weird. He says "I deep inside of you, I can't get over." Um, what? I'm feeling a little uncomfortable over here!

Kyung and Zico also had some English lines, but Kyung is fairly fluent, if not totally fluent, in English and Zico likes to pretend that he is, but his pronunciation is pretty good.  
 
What else is happening? 

FT Island "Memory" - This song came out at the same time as "Be a Light" so it became sufficiently less important than it initially was. Sorry FT Island. This isn't my favorite song by them either.

Insooni "Beautiful Girl" - Oh my gosh this woman is a freaking rock star! This is the title song of her 18th album that is celebrating her 35th year since her debut. She is singing to people on a subway car and just hanging out with people, I want to meet her!

Busker Busker "In the Beginning, a Thing Called Love" - I love the raw sound of their vocals in this song. I have never gotten around to listening to one of their songs, and I'm glad that I finally have because now I can agree with the people that say they are good, because they are.

Joy o'clock "Delusion" - debut song - These two guys are pretty good, even though this is a ballad so it didn't totally hook me. They do have really strong vocals though and one of them plays the piano. This sounds like something that would come off of a OST, I wonder if they will go that way?

BPPOP "Never Ever Let Me Go" - This is their first comeback, and to be perfectly honest, I don't even remember what they debut song sounded like, so you can tell they made a big impact on me. This song is pretty though and they have pretty voices, that's all I have to say.

~ Alora

No comments:

Post a Comment