Wednesday, March 19, 2014

TROY Green Light MV Review


How's the song? 

This song brings much joy to my ear drums. Much joy. This group debuted on Thursday and they have a super solid sound and don't really come off as rookies which is awesome. There are more than enough rookies who come out with a crap song and video and then fade into obscurity because no one has time for a group that doesn't look like they know what they are doing.

In this group, I already knew one member, Kanto, because he put out a single before debut and that song also made you wonder why you had never heard of this kid before and they you realized it was because it was his first song. What?

Back to the song at had though, that was freaking smooth, like whoa. It had a very jazzy 50s sound that had me moving right a long with it. As soon as I heard the song, it was basically a case of shut up and take my money. I now own this song and have no regrets even though my new discovery of UglyPumpkin has slightly overshadowed Troy, but more on that next week.

How's the video? 
 
I love this time period. Especially the clothes. If it was practical for me to wear heels and a pencil skirt at all times I totally would. No lie. When the video started, I also automatically thought about Inspiring Generation since I have been watching that lately and have been pretty much enjoying it. (Why did you leave original writer? Why?!)

The main issue that I do have with this video is that as soon as it opened there was the infamous brick room starring back at me. I soon realized though that it wasn't the brick room, but it is still a brick room. One thing that it does have going for it though is that it is used as a club rather than just an awkward room with awkward props.


If you look through the windows though I think that the brick room might be on the other side of this room. Is there a giant brick room compound now?

What I did like about the room and basically the whole video is the dim, smokey look of the whole thing.


The video and the song actually relate to each other! What is this madness? The only way it could have been better is if it hadn't taken place in a brick room.

How's the styling? 

I love this era of clothing and I think that combining some fashion elements of our time with the 50s was a really fun thing to do. There were two outfits that I didn't really understand though


I guess that it is cool that Jaewoong has abs, but it seemed so random. I think that he was much hotter in the suit or even in the sailor hat and unbuttoned shirt with the wife beater underneath. As for the top hat, I really have no idea what to say about that other than that is one big feather.

Is the dance super amazing? 

Whit hip hop groups there is normally not a lot of dancing but what you do get is grooving which is a little different. You kind of see this in the music video but to really see how fun everything looks, you need to watch the live stage. 

Which member owned it? 

In the music video no one really stood out for me. All the members had a pretty equal amount of camera time and the line distribution was nice. Where I did notice a definite difference between the members is during the above mentioned live stage.

You can tell that Bumkey and Kanto have been performing for a while by the way they carry themselves on stage and interact with those around them. Jaewoong wasn't too bad but Changwoo, the guy in the top hat, looked a little lost sometimes, especially around the 3 minute mark of the video. 

Does the English make you ears bleed? 

The only real bit of English in the song was the chorus, which I loved. It was pronounced well and I really have nothing else to say about it. Hopefully Troy continues with this.
 
~ Alora 

No comments:

Post a Comment