Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Block B - Bastarz Conduct Zero MV Review


This song is my new jam. All day every day. And because I am in Korea I might go buy a hard copy because I can do things like that. That also means that I'm not going to able to buy it until the weekend because I don't really want to buy a digital copy and a hard copy. First world problems right there.

Speaking of first world problems, I recently found out that I have an inflamed tendon in my right hand so I'm typing this entire thing with only my left hand. Life has been difficult for the last week and it will continue to be difficult for about the next month. Please excuse me for a moment while I go cry.



This song is so in your face and I really wouldn't expect anything less than a song by Zico for Block B, even if it is only a sub unit. From start to finish you are excited to listen. The song knows where it's going and never deviates from that set path.

But, before we get too into talking about the song and video, I have an opinion,

It is kind of too bad that P.O's scenes with those kimono clad women were cut. Maybe I would feel differently if I was Japanese, but they weren't hurting anyone. People use Japanese imagery literally all the time and I think it is interesting when a certain person or persons are given crap for something used by countless people before them.

I also saw that people were comparing those scenes in the teaser to the Thailand incident saying that Block B hasn't changed and blah blah blah. Some people though


That's enough of that though, let's talk about the real reason we are here.

At first, when they announced who was going to be in this sub unit, I had to laugh. I knew that it would sound awesome, but U-Kwon and B-Bomb are the dancers of the group and then you pair them up with P.O? He is so stiff and sometimes awkward and I could see a little of that in the video. It's not like he was bad, it's better than I could do, but I really want to see the live performance so I can just watch the dance.

The song itself is kind of tricky at first. We are given that super heavy beat and sirens from the teaser but then the song puts on the hard breaks. I thought that P.O was going to come out hard and destroy everything in sight, but instead we get B-Bomb with a simple synth. I don't have a problem with it at all though. It kind of works in a weird way and the song goes right back to that starting beat soon after.

This same hard and soft can be seen in the video as well. The three boys look like they are tough and in charge (or a murderer in U-Kwon's case) but all the sets are a pinky-purple. They're going to make you an offer you can't refuse. Not because you're scared though, you're just really a ease in P.O's Easter colored room and got distracted.


And speaking of rooms, what the heck was U-Kwon doing? Was that a brothel that doubled as a butcher shop that U-Kwon (who is a vampire?) runs?

On the topic of U-Kwon (P.O also fits in here) he is one of those adorable yet super hot people. First he's like:



And the next moment this happens


That's why idols are dangerous. They look squishy and adorable and then, all of a sudden, charisma comes out of nowhere and you don't know what to do with yourself.

B-Bomb's room wasn't too odd. He just doesn't know how to DJ very well. That mic was awesome though. I hope that it makes appearances in live performances. Also, why told him that smearing paint on your chest was an acceptable substitute for a shirt? It was probably Taeyang.


Overall, this was a very enjoyable three minutes. The song is super hyped and the video is weird, that is all I hope for when I hear something about Block B. This sub unit makes me wonder if this will be a reoccurring sub unit and if we will hear anything from other members; namely Kyung and Jaehyo, after this sub unit, they are the only two who haven't done anything big.

I am still holding out for a new Block B album though. It's been so long and now we know that B-Bomb and U-Kwon have music making abilities, that's two more brains to make a wonderful album. Make this happen!

~ Alora    

No comments:

Post a Comment